Cat Hair Dye: Is it Safe to Dye Cat Fur?
According to Jay Hathaway of gawker.com, earlier last year, Russian actress Elena Lenina brought a kitten that was dyed bright pink to a party. Unfortunately, days later, there were rumors spread that the pink kitten named Nana – made pink to match the actress’ outfit – died after licking the paint off her fur.
Over 30,000 petitioners wanted Lenina charged for animal cruelty. Thankfully, it turns out this was a hoax says Hathaway, and the kitten is still alive and doing well (and apparently in another home).
Can dye hurt your cat?
Still, as National Poison Prevention Week approaches, it’s a good time to remember that even simple products such as hair dyes and certain chemicals can potentially be dangerous to cats. That’s because cats have an altered liver metabolism and can’t breakdown certain drugs or chemicals well (which is why they are so sensitive to drugs like Tylenol). Because of cats’ unique metabolism, even common household products such as laundry detergent, liquid potpourris and other chemicals can be corrosive or poisonous!
Some people have an ethical issue with dyeing cats. Regardless of what you decide, make sure you are using a pet-safe dye. For any product you use on your cat, make sure it isn’t sugar-free and doesn’t contain xylitol. Please also know that just because it’s “natural” doesn’t mean it’s safe for cats. Take for example, certain concentrated essential oils. When used on cats, these can cause difficulty breathing, walking drunk, corrosive burns in the mouth and even liver failure.
Recently, a veterinary study found that a dog that ingested a natural hair dye – henna – had severe poisoning and developed a life-threatening anemia from it1. Again, just because it’s “natural” doesn’t necessarily mean it’s safe.
Share This Article
Justine has more than 18 years of experience in the veterinary industry and is a board-certified emergency critical care veterinary specialist and toxicologist as well as the CEO and founder of Vetgirl. She is also a founding member of IDEXX’s Pet Health Network team.